dropshadowtop

Our History

Historical Timeline


    1873 – The “Malt Club” is formed by a group of 20 representative men of Wilkes-Barre desirous of meeting under convivial circumstances to discuss community projects, problems and matters of interest at home and abroad.

1879 – Club moves to more commodious quarters on South Main Street. Here, for a decade, the Club was maintained in flourishing condition.

 

  1889 – The name “Westmoreland” adopted in order to perpetuate the old Connecticut name over the district which that state once claimed jurisdiction. February 9, 1889, Westmoreland Club is incorporated. The Hunt House north of St. Stephen’s Church was rented and fitted for Club purposes.

1896 – Fire destroys St. Stephen’s Church and the clubhouse nearby.

1897 – Club purchases Hunt lot and builds a three-story clubhouse which opens with an elaborate party on December 22. This fine building was one of the few in the state built exclusively as an urban clubhouse.
     












 
  1922 – Club purchases Dr. Levi P. Shoemaker residence in order to accommodate an expanding membership.

1972 – Club suffered enormous damages from the disastrous flood cause by Tropical Storm Agnes which poured into Wilkes-Barre on June 23. With the loss of the basement kitchen and most services, the Club faced its most difficult challenges. The Club’s centennial year in 1973 is regarded as the most critical in history. The Club emerged as an outstanding asset of life in the Wyoming Valley and one of the best equipped, well managed social clubs anywhere in the United States.

1997 – A two-story addition is completed providing a new north entrance, elevator and second floor dining room. Business casual attire is approved for the second floor of the Club.

2007 – Renovation and expansion of the kitchen is completed providing an additional 1,000 square feet and state of the art equipment and facilities.
     
Many renovations have taken place over the past 91 years, many of those just in the last ten years including the complete renovation of the Main Dining Room, Terrace Room and second floor dining rooms which included the creation of the Downtown Grille, a sophisticated, casual dining room and bar. Over three million dollars in capital improvements have been made in recent years without any assessments to the members.
 



ABOUT THE CLUB:
Since 1873, the Westmoreland Club has perpetuated its history of excellence with an unwavering commitment to the service and standards set forth by its founders. Club members, comprised of leaders in business, industry, government, arts and education reflect the exceptional and exciting dynamics of Northeastern Pennsylvania.





“Couples say ‘I do’
 in the Club they love.”

Westmoreland Club
59 South Franklin Street
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 18701
T.570.822.6141
F.570.822.6176
© 2017. All Rights Reserved.
Home
Member Login
Employment
Contact Us